Original Research

St John’s Parish in Cape Town and a history of the lived spatial justice acts: 1956–2020

Ntandoyenkosi N.N. Mlambo, Henry Mbaya
In die Skriflig/In Luce Verbi | Vol 57, No 1 | a3002 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/ids.v57i1.3002 | © 2023 Ntandoyenkosi N.N. Mlambo, Henry Mbaya | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 24 July 2023 | Published: 04 December 2023

About the author(s)

Ntandoyenkosi N.N. Mlambo, Department of Systematic Theology and Ecclesiology, Faculty of Theology, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Henry Mbaya, Department of Systematic Theology and Ecclesiology, Faculty of Theology, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa

Abstract

St John’s is an Anglican parish in the city of Cape Town. Its six member churches are in the southern suburbs of the city. In its history as a parish, it has gained land space in the southern suburbs of Cape Town. In recent years, numerous congregants and involved leaders began to think on how to use that land space in a way that brings justice in this area of the city. This article seeks to look at the parish’s historical spatial actions, in order to see what insights toward spatial justice may arise. This article provides detail information regarding the history of the Anglican Church and St John’s Parish. It also explores in detail the spatial knowledge and perspectives of some leaders and members of the parish. Finally, it explores what these interviews suggest for a church in search of spatial justice.

Contribution: This article aligns with the scope of the journal as it created a conversation around church history, spatial history, and spatial justice within the South African context.


Keywords

Anglican Church; church history; space; justice; spatial justice

Sustainable Development Goal

Goal 11: Sustainable cities and communities

Metrics

Total abstract views: 950
Total article views: 690


Crossref Citations

No related citations found.